Doja Cat had an elaborate set at Coachella that included backup dancers dressed head to toe in blonde hair – and she got Jimmy Fallon to don the look during her recent appearance on his show.

The California native stopped by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on Wednesday (May 1), where she delivered  a performance of “ACKNOWLEDGE ME” from her recently-released Scarlet deluxe album Claude. Doja also sat down for a conversation with Jimmy that culminated in the host putting on the hairy outfit and even hitting a few moves.

“I wanted it to be modeled after hair, that’s the theme, hair, so it’s going to be a very hairy show,” Doja said of her forthcoming European tour and of the reason for her Coachella set’s aesthetics.

Watch the funny clip below.

 

Following her performance at Coachella 2024 last month – where she became the first female rapper to headline the annual festival – Doja Cat immediately saw a boost in her music as she rose to the top of Billboard’s Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay chart.

On April 17, Billboard reported that the Scarlet joint “Agora Hills” hit the top of the aforementioned tally dated April 20, following a 19% surge in weekly plays.

This marked the 28-year-old’s first No. 1 on the chart, though she has topped the Pop Airplay chart eight times with hits such as “Say So,” “Kiss Me More” with SZA and more. Previously, her highest position on the Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay chart was No. 8, thanks to the Tyga-assisted “Juicy” back in 2020.

Doja Cat served as the headliner for the third and final night of the annual festival. Throughout her set, the superstar surprised fans with special guests 21 SavageA$AP Rocky and Teezo Touchdown for their respective collaborations — the last two appear on the deluxe version of her latest LP Scarlet 2: CLAUDE, which was released last month.

A number of fans thought she was taking shots at her rap peers upon the extended cut’s release, though she was quick to deny the speculation.

“No one has done anything to me for me to even want to begin to diss them. all my peers been nice as fuck and welcoming of me. please stop fucking grasping for straws here,” she wrote.

“I dont play these games you all are playing,” she continued. “Its incredibly childish and quite frankly the most depressing shit ive ever come across on the internet. grow the fuck up. i dont get in ‘rAp bEefS.’”

Not for the first time, Moby is speaking out against Donald Trump’s administration with clear frustration.

“The U.S. is collapsing under a deeply corrupt and shockingly ineffective administration,” the longtime electronic musician shared on social media. “These are unbelievably dark times.”

Moby went deeper into his thoughts through a video message, where he explained that people outside the United States keep asking Americans what is actually happening in the country.

“So many of my friends outside the United States keep asking me, ‘what the hell is happening over there?’ And honestly, we don’t even know,” he said. “The country is being controlled by one of the most corrupt, dangerous and incompetent administrations imaginable. Nobody fully understands what’s happening right now. These are very dark times in America.”

Moby joins a growing list of artists publicly criticizing Trump and MAGA politics, including Bruce Springsteen, Jack White, Eminem and Billie Eilish.

Earlier this year, Moby uploaded another statement to social media where he addressed how people should respond following the killing of Alex Pretti by ICE agents in Minneapolis. “The real question isn’t whether people should feel horrified or outraged by what’s happening in the United States,” Moby explained in the Jan. 26 clip. “The question is what are we actually going to do about it?”

The musician and activist also encouraged people to protest, saying demonstrations are a constitutional right and something he believes Trump’s administration is attempting to weaken.

In the end, he urged people to vote regularly, “not only during the upcoming midterms, even though those matter, but also in every special election throughout the year.” He also encouraged supporters to “stop giving money to the scumbag corporations backing Trump and ICE. We all know who they are. Boycott them.”

His newest remarks arrive as the U.S. Justice Department unveils a nearly $1.8 billion compensation fund for Trump allies who claim they were unfairly investigated. At the same time, the Strait of Hormuz remains shut down following military action launched by the U.S. and Israel against Iran in late February without approval from Congress, leading to rising gas prices across the globe.

Throughout his independent music career, Moby has earned 10 entries on the Billboard 200 along with two songs on the Billboard Hot 100 and an enormous catalog of sync placements. Overseas, particularly in the United Kingdom, he is viewed as one of the defining artists of his era. He scored two No. 1 albums there with Play from 1999 and 18 from 2002, alongside 18 top 40 singles and two nominations for Best International Male at the BRIT Awards.

Check out Moby’s newest social media post below.

 

 

CONTINUE READING