Celine Dion

Courtesy of Columbia Records

Celine fans will have to wait a little longer to take in a performance from the Canadian superstar. Promoters AEG and Concerts West announced on Tuesday (Oct. 19) that Celine Dion has been experiencing severe and persistent muscle spasms which are preventing her from performing for her upcoming residency at Resorts World Theatre in Las Vegas. Dion’s currently scheduled shows through February have been canceled.  

“I’m heartbroken by this,” said Dion in a statement. “My team and I have been working on our new show for the past eight months, and to not be able to open this November saddens me beyond words. My partners at Resorts World Las Vegas and AEG have been working around the clock to get this brand-new state-of-the-art theatre ready, and it's absolutely beautiful.” 

The promoters said in a release that Dion’s medical team continues to evaluate and treat the singer, but the symptoms she is experiencing are prohibiting her from participating in the ongoing rehearsals for the new show. 

“Celine is family to us, and the most important thing now is for her to focus on feeling better,” said president and co-CEO of Concerts West/AEG Presents John Meglen in a release. “In our two-decade long relationship with Celine, we’ve certainly learned how dedicated and resilient she is, and that she is most happy when she’s on stage doing what she loves most, performing for her fans. We’re ready to announce new Las Vegas show dates whenever Celine is ready.” 

Dion’s newest residency was scheduled to kick off Nov. 5 with dates through Nov. 20. After a short break, Dion was scheduled to return on Jan. 19 and run through Feb. 5. Fans who purchased tickets through AXS or Resorts World Las Vegas will receive automatic refunds within 30 days. Ticket holders of the canceled Las Vegas performances will receive a pre-sale opportunity for first access to purchase tickets for newly scheduled show dates when they are announced. 

“I’m especially sorry for disappointing all the fans who’ve been making their plans to come to Las Vegas,” Dion’s statement continued. “Now, I have to focus on getting better… I want to get through this as soon as I can.” 

The world leader, who has repeatedly faced criticism for featuring songs from artists who do not want their music connected to his political views, shared a viral clip of We Can’t Be Friends (Wait For Your Love) that focused on the lyric: “Me and my truth we sit in silence.”

The footage shows Trump at a rally while the statement “Men can’t have babies and should never compete in women’s sports” appears on screen.

The Team Trump TikTok account posted the video with the caption: “This shouldn’t be controversial! #trump #arianagrande #maga.”

Ariana responded in a comment that was later removed, saying: “Never use my music again. Also, your truth is false.”

Trump has a well known record of opposing transgender rights, and the US Supreme Court recently ruled that states can prohibit transgender women from taking part in women’s sports. In a 6 to 3 ruling, the justices determined that such laws do not breach Title IX or the Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause.

The decision in June came after several other actions by the Trump administration involving transgender policies. Earlier in May, the Supreme Court also permitted the administration to continue with its “Prioritizing Military Excellence and Readiness” order, which would prevent transgender individuals from serving in the US military.

Ariana’s statement arrived soon after Taylor Swift also took steps to stop Trump from using her music on TikTok. Trump had featured a number of her songs in his social media posts, including a video of him and his wife Lady Melania Trump watching fireworks accompanied by August.

The song was later taken off the post and replaced by a notice that read: “This sound isn’t available.”

Trump appeared to deliberately select Taylor’s track, adding the message: “I’m sure @Taylor Swift is going to be super excited we used her song!”

He also responded to the Team Trump video with: “Mood because it’s August and Donald Trump is your president.”

Other Taylor Swift songs that were removed from Trump’s TikTok content included The Fate of Ophelia and Father Figure.

Trump previously made headlines when he wrote “I HATE TAYLOR SWIFT!” on Truth Social after the singer publicly announced that she planned to support Kamala Harris in the previous presidential election.

CONTINUE READING